Roasted Butternut Squash and Pepper Soup
Warm yourself up this winter with our Roasted Butternut Squash and Pepper Soup. Thick and creamy, this recipe is packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Enjoy with a chunk of crusty brown bread and vegan salted butter.
Makes 4-6 portions.
Ingredients and Method
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash, peeled, cored and roughly chopped into small cubes
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Paprika
- A Good Pinch of Chilli Flakes
- 3 Peppers, roughly chopped
- 30g Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 500ml Vegetable Stock, made using 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 tbsp Vegan Alternative Cream
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/180°C Fan.
- Peel and core the butternut squash, then roughly chop into small cubes. Place it onto a large roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil, paprika, chilli flakes and season well with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- In the meantime, cut the peppers into chunks. After the butternut squash has been cooking for 20 minutes, add the peppers onto the roasting tray. Mix together ensuring the peppers are coated in the oil and spices. Cook for another 20/25 minutes until the butternut squash is soft to touch. Remove from the oven and leave on the side.
- Dice the onion. Place a large sauce pan over a low heat and melt the vegan butter. Once melted, add in the diced onion and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Finely chop the garlic and add to the saucepan. Cook for a few more minutes until browned.
- Stir in the roasted butternut squash, peppers and tinned tomatoes.
- Make the vegetable stock using 1 vegetable stock cube and 500ml of boiling water. Add the stock to the saucepan and stir. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes on a medium to low heat.
- Turn off the heat and blend the soup until smooth. Stir in the vegan cream. If the soup is too thick, stir in a little extra water.
- Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of cream and some fresh crusty bread.